MS in Remote Sensing and GIScience at IST Islamabad Campus
In order to bring Pakistan at par with developed nations, education and research in emerging fields of science and technologies is of fundamental importance. Geospatial science and technologies including GISc, RS and associated disciplines have emerged as "enabling discipline" having applications in almost every domain.
Institute of Space Technology (IST) started MS in RS & GISc in 2009 at National Center for Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics at Karachi. In view of the growing importance of the discipline and scarcity of universities offering degree programs nationally, IST has taken yet another step forward and started MS in RS and GISc at Space Science(SS) Department at IST Islamabad Campus since 2013. The SS department gathers diverse foreign qualified faculty and ensures to create top quality RS & GISc human resource.
Prospective applicants can explore the faculty and their research interests by going to the GREL People tab.
The vision of MS in RS & GISc program at SS department is to impart top quality graduate level education and research facilities that meet international standards
The mission of MS in RS & GISc program at SS department is to provide;
- Conductive environment for education and research that meets international standards
- Students with best resources for learning under the guidance of top ranked foreign qualified faculty
- Create human resource in RS and GISc that fits well in national and international market
At the successful completion of the program the students must have;
- Sufficient GIS and RS skills to be capable of competing nationally and internationally.
- The ability to do research by inculcating in them the ability to do creative and innovative thinking.
- 4 years BS degree or 16 years of education (from HEC Recognized Institutes/Universities) preferably in RS & GIS, Geoinformatics, GIScience, Surveying, Space Science, Geography, Computer Science, Information Systems, Electrical/Environmental/Civil Engineering. Specific cases can be considered upon application
- Minimum 2.5 CGPA out of 4 or 60 % marks in BS
- Valid NTS GAT test or GRE (General) with minimum 50% marks Recommendation by faculty interview panel
Duration and structure:
- 2 years spread over 4 semesters (2 semesters per year)
- Students will be required to pass all courses (3 core courses and 5 elective, Cr Hrs. 24) and defend thesis (6 Cr. hrs) for earning MS degree
- Advanced Remote Sensing and Digital Image Processing
- Advanced Geographical Information Science
- Advanced Research Methods
List of elective courses:
- GIS Customizing and Programming
- Web GIS
- Geospatial Programming with Python
- Radar Remote Sensing
- Data Analysis for Earth Sciences
- Satellite Oceanography
- Image Classification Techniques
- Environmental Science
- Hyperspectral Remote Sensing
- Functional Programming
- GIS Theory
- Objected Oriented Programming with JAVA
- Geospatial Datamining and Warehousing
- Geospatial Data Structures and Algorithms
- Land Information System
- Spatial Decision Support Systems
- Geospatial Development with C# and .NET
To see courses and course outlines being offered at Islamabad campus, click on the Courses tab.
Detail of fee structure is available here
View Advertisement by clicking here